Spicy fried Snakeheadfish (Pla Chon Phat Khee Mao)
| || |
|1 Snakeheadfish |
half a cup yard-long beans, cut into short lengths
a quarter cup miniature eggplants (Ma-kheua phuang)
5 kaffir lime leaves, torn
18 karen chilis with stems
13 cloves garlic
3 tbsp finely sliced galangal
2 tbsp finely sliced lemongrass
2 tbsp sugar
2-3 tbsp fish sauce
4 cups vegetable oil for deep frying
| || |
- Clean and scale the fish, slit down the middle and discard the insides. Rub well with some sot to remove the fishy smell, the wash again. Cut across into slices about 1 inch thick, wash and drain.
- Place a wok over medium heat, pour in the oil and heat until hot. Fry the fish until golden and done, remove from the oil and drain on absorbent paper. Dreain off the frying oil, leavin only 2 tbsp in the wok. Use this to saute the pounded chili until fragrant.
- Combine fried dish, yard-long beans, and other ingredients, stir well.
- Season to taste with sugar and fish sauce.
- Place on a serving dish and enjoy.